Steuben County Sheriff’s Department adds Airboat
updated 30 June 2011 at 17h12
ANGOLA, Ind. (Indiana’s NewsCenter) — Thanks to a donation from the Richard Poe Estate, the Steuben County Sheriff’s Department now has an airboat as part of its fleet.
The Sheriffâ€™s Department received the airboat at the end of April 2011 from the Poe Estate, which specified the boat be used in and around Steuben County for emergency / law enforcement services.
The airboat is a 1999 15 foot C-Breeze customized by Diamondback Airboats of Cocoa Florida. It is equipped with a 550 horsepower V8 engine, a full Teflon undercoating for shallow water and ice maneuvering, seating for five officers, exterior flood lighting and a single axle customized tilt trailer.
Customization included complete repainting of airboat parts and trailer, new seat covers, new floor covering spray for front platform; two exhaust mufflers, complete Sheriff striping kit, emergency red/blue lighting and an hour meter. Not only was all the material donated, so was the labor.
The airboat has undergone a major transformation through generous donations from the following community members and businesses:
- Angola Collision (Chad Wise) – Paint and labor to recolor the trailer and boat
- Custom Marine Covers (Tim Fletcher) – New seat covers to compliment the new color
- Midwest Dive Supply (Mark and Josh Thrasher) – Labor to install lighting/seating/modifications
- Shipe Spraying Service (Danny Shipe) – Recolor and abrasive flooring material for platform
- Thrasher Welding and Machine (Mark Thrasher) – Machining and installation of new mufflers, lighting, seating; Labor to remove and install parts for painting
- Jim Grandin – Complete Sheriff stripe/logo kits for proper markings
Deputies in the department will be undergoing special training in the airboat’s use throughout the summer.